In 1929 Denver socialite Florence Kistler commissioned her dear friend and renowned architect, Temple Buell, to design stables at her weekend retreat home and named it the Kistler Stables (which is now the main clubhouse at the Village Club). Buell's stunning creation was crafted out of huge stones from Silver Plume, a silver mining camp along Clear Creek in the Front Range of the Rockies in Colorado. The same stonework adorns an enormous outdoor fireplace with a kitchen, adjacent to Kistler’s swimming pool. It was here that Kistler and her daughters, Florence and Francis, entertained Denver's high society with picnics by the pool after adventures on horseback.
Kistler Stables remained active until 1955 when the property changed hands and was sold to the Berger family. The Bergers leased the stables to a young Denverite, Lester Pedicord. Lester, a DU graduate, was a passionate horseman who spent his time training and showing American Saddlebreds out of the Berger estate. The pool was opened up to the public and operated as Belleview Park.
In December 1966, Robert H. Gaiser, a budding athletic club entrepreneur, purchased the property. He parceled individual homesites and created a private club community called Pheasant Ridge Aqua and Racquet Club. He installed six tennis courts, and club members enjoyed swimming, tennis, and riding. Pheasant Ridge's exclusive membership included many founding and current members of today's Village Club at Pheasant Ridge.
A few years later in 1973, Mr. Gaiser’s hand was forced to close his private club, as the business was not sustainable. Members were disappointed at this prospect, and three of them, Bill Cooper, Frank Sargent, and Roland Wilson, approached Mr. Gaiser to purchase the land and structures comprising his athletic club. The following year, this small group of Village residents collectively purchased the property as a nonprofit, private member club.
The determined group found financing through Colorado National Bank on two conditions: 11 more families would join in signing the original banknote and 76 additional families needed to join the Club within 60 days. The group met the requirements and The Village Tennis, Riding and Swim Club was born. The Village Club was dedicated to a family and would depend on member participation, including a member-run board of directors.
Members collaborated and volunteered to bring the Club to life. Each step in the development of the Club involved many hours of active member participation and generous contributions. The centerpiece of the club, the original Kistler Stables, was partially remodeled as Village Club's main clubhouse for social events and private member gatherings.
In 2021, the Club was rebranded as Village Club at Pheasant Ridge. Members agree the name accurately reflects the history and nostalgia of the Club.